abbrechen
Suchergebnisse werden angezeigt für 
Anzeigen  nur  | Stattdessen suchen nach 
Meintest du: 

Monthly data usage

simont
Experienced Homie

Since I’m planning to use a 4G router with a NOT flat data plan to access my remote installation, I was wondering how much data is consumed monthly on average for idle connection of Smart Home Controller to Bosch server. Also, how big is a typical firmware update?

1 AKZEPTIERTE LÖSUNG

SebastianHarder
Experte von Bosch Smart Home

You can disable automatic updates of the controller, however, if I remember correctly, the updates would still be downloaded. Another approach would be to block the access to the update server in your router. That way you could assure that no traffic is generated by the update mechanism.

Without update traffic, Smart Home Cloud usage and remote access, there shouldn't be too much traffic. Push notifications would still go over the internet and the controller must check its time regularly.

I have no measured data, but I would assume not more than very few MB per day or even below 1 MB are transferred.

Lead Android Developer @ Bosch Smart Home

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

3 ANTWORTEN 3

SebastianHarder

Hi @simont,

this vastly depends on how you use your system. If you enable the Smart Home Cloud, e.g. to link it with Alexa or Google, the controller will send every device change to a server in the internet, which will generate traffic depending on the size of your installation and the usage frequency. 

The second point is the question how often you access the controller with your mobile client from outside of the local network. Every connection (opening the app) generates traffic – again, depending on the size of your installation and feature usage, e.g. all device information, but also scenario or automation data is transferred when the app connects initially.

For the controller updates, it connects regularly to a Bosch server to check for updates. This should be only little traffic. However, when an update is available, it will be downloaded. Normally it's a differential update, which requires less data than the full build. Not sure currently how many MB one update usually has, but I would assume s.th. around 50 – 100 MB. On average, the controllers receive 6 – 12 updates per year. 

Does that answer your question sufficiently?

Regards

Sebastian 

simont
Experienced Homie

Thanks Sebastian.

Supposing that I reduce to a minimum the app use (less than once per day) and do not connect my installation to Alexa or Google, do you have an estimation for idle data exchange, just for “general housekeeping” of the server connection? e.g. In the range of kB or MB per day?

Regarding the updates, is it possible to suspend the check (and thus the download) so that I can check and install then only when I’m actually present?

Thanks

SebastianHarder

You can disable automatic updates of the controller, however, if I remember correctly, the updates would still be downloaded. Another approach would be to block the access to the update server in your router. That way you could assure that no traffic is generated by the update mechanism.

Without update traffic, Smart Home Cloud usage and remote access, there shouldn't be too much traffic. Push notifications would still go over the internet and the controller must check its time regularly.

I have no measured data, but I would assume not more than very few MB per day or even below 1 MB are transferred.

Rechtswidrigen Inhalt melden